Trump: We’re going to build a great(er) firewall of America
President Donald Trump has accelerated the tech race against China by announcing plans to build a ‘great(er) firewall of America’.
The so-called ‘Great Firewall of China’ provides internet censorship in the country by preventing access to certain websites and slowing down cross-border traffic.
“Not keeping pace with China’s progressive attitudes to internet censorship was yet another failure of the Obama administration,” says Trump. “We’re going to change that and build a greater firewall of America.”
Trump provided journalists with this hand-drawn sketch of what he envisions will happen if a Mexican citizen attempts to access a US website:
When asked how the firewall will be funded, Trump began making siren noises and declared a state of emergency.
11:59am Update: “Fake news like yours are exactly why a great firewall is needed,” wrote Trump in a statement.
- » Qualcomm and Swisscom bring first commercial 5G services to Europe
- » Verizon launches the first US 5G network mere hours after South Korea
- » Three UK: Banning Huawei will delay our 5G rollout
- » Ren Zhengfei: Huawei is ‘open’ to selling 5G chips to Apple
- » Denmark gains nationwide IoT LoRaWAN network through dual deal