Trump: We’re going to build a great(er) firewall of America
President Donald Trump has accelerated the tech race against China by announcing plans to build a ‘great(er) firewall of America’.
The so-called ‘Great Firewall of China’ provides internet censorship in the country by preventing access to certain websites and slowing down cross-border traffic.
“Not keeping pace with China’s progressive attitudes to internet censorship was yet another failure of the Obama administration,” says Trump. “We’re going to change that and build a greater firewall of America.”
Trump provided journalists with this hand-drawn sketch of what he envisions will happen if a Mexican citizen attempts to access a US website:
When asked how the firewall will be funded, Trump began making siren noises and declared a state of emergency.
11:59am Update: “Fake news like yours are exactly why a great firewall is needed,” wrote Trump in a statement.
- » The wireless technology trends that are fuelling new IoT applications
- » AT&T collaborates with Bell Canada, Rogers Communications, and Telus over LTE-M network
- » UK government pledges £5bn for gigabit broadband in every home by 2025
- » Report claims buying Huawei tech is ‘like buying Chinese fighter planes’
- » Huawei says contiguous blocks of cheap 5G spectrum are needed in India